Sunday, April 3, 2016

The story of a Divine Mercy Painting blessed by Fr Michael Gaitley given to a mother for her son, a seminarian to pray for the secret benefactor for life.

In August 2013 I attended the Catholic Marketing Network's Conference, combined with the Catholic Writer's Guild at the Raritan Center in New Jersey.


During mass I saw another woman wearing a pretty veil. I too wore a veil and after mass came across her and her husband again and ended up chatting about veiling. They introduced themselves as Bill and Mary Ann Dunfee from Bloomington, Indiana. They were there for the Mary's Children Catholic Gift Shop booth. Mary Ann was the manager of the gift shop and Bill was retired but helped her out. I ended up chatting with them about my son who was a seminarian for the Diocese of Trenton, NJ.

The next day we saw each other again and we heard Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC, of the Congregation of Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception, Sturbridge, Massachusetts speak. 
Fr Gaitley waits his turn to speak

He is the director of the Association of Marian Helpers. He is the author of many books about Divine Mercy. He gave a talk about Divine Mercy and then mentioned he had two Divine Mercy images to sell so he wouldn't have to bring them back home after the conference. 
Here is the Life Size image I humbly did not choose

Instantly, a strong sensation came over me to run to his booth and buy the smaller one. By the time I got to Fr. Gaitley's booth, Bill and Mary Ann were there too. 
Making my way to the Booth

I see the Divine Mercy image I was wishing to purchase for my son

From behind Bill and Mary Ann "beat me" to the Divine Mercy image. I can't believe I happened to get a photo of them in front of me. My eyes were focused on the image and speaking to Fr Gaitley!

As I spoke to Fr Gaitley excitedly expecting to say "I'll take it" He turned to me and said "I am sorry. It has already been purchased." My heart sank. I was so sad. I wanted to give it to my son. All of a sudden he begins to explain that the person who bought the image has asked that it be given to a seminarian in exchange for his praying for the benefactor for life. And then he did the most peculiar thing. He handed me the image. I was confused and dumbstruck and then suddenly I realized he meant it for my son. I was completely caught off guard and began to feel an incredible emotional reaction that ended up manifesting in huge tears. I wept in Mary Ann's arms with this incredible feeling of Love and Mercy. I instantly knew Bill was the Benefactor.
The Dunfees and Fr Gaitley


Later on I thanked Bill and Mary Ann profusely and Bill was a little miffed telling me "you robbed me of my secret gift for you!" I told him "I'm sorry I have really strong women's intuition!"
Fr Michael Gaitley and I. My son was at Franciscan University at the time and Fr Gaitley had graduated from Franciscan University!

After the conference I tried getting in touch with them to thank them again but was never able to connect.

For many years the image was on an easel in my son's bedroom. In front of which he placed a wooden kneeler that was refurbished by Br. Vittorio Pesce of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. I had purchased it for $27 at an auction in some remote part of Vermont while on vacation.

Years later our son was assigned to St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, under Fr. Alberto Tamayo as pastor. Our son gifted the image to the parish and it was placed above the door to the confessional. In the beginning I was mad, as it was a very personal gift I gave to him with a great emotional story. But he is an incredibly giving and generous person and often gives things away. Plus where it was placed was so perfect!
The Divine Mercy image that the Dunfee's gave me to give to my son sits above the confessional at St Anthony

Fr Rafael sits in the confessional dispensing Our HEavenly Father's Mercy
Today before mass I told the story of the image to one of the ushers and then realized I didn't think Fr. Al knew the story, so I headed to the sacristy where my son and the other altar boys were preparing for mass. I asked Fr. Al if he knew the story and he said he did not. So my son says "My mom gave me that." And I said "no there's more to the story" and so I proceeded to tell them about the beloved Bill Dunfee and what he had so kindly done for me, paying for and surprising me with the beautiful Divine Mercy image. And my son turns to me and says "Mom I didn't know that story!"
Here my husband and I stand with our son and the Divine Mercy image on Sunday April 3 after the 10:30am mass at St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Red Bank, NJ on Divine Mercy Sunday in the Year of Mercy!
To learn more about Divine Mercy go here:
Postscript: After three years I thought I lost the photos from the day I met the kind and generous Dunfee's and tonight I checked in an obscure file on my lap top and there they were!! 
Praise you Jesus Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment